Government launches nationwide Covid-19 awareness campaign – Kenya News Agency
State Department of Broadcasting and Telecommunications Principal Secretary (PS) Esther Koimett today launched the Covid-19 awareness campaign in the country aimed at raising awareness of new developments in the spread of the virus .
Speaking on the grounds of Uhuru Park, Ms Koimett reiterated the need for the public to adhere to government containment measures to stop the spread of the disease.
Last month, the Ministry of Health confirmed that it has recorded five cases of the Indian variant of Covid-19 in the East African region and, as such, the reported exercise will raise awareness of the need to remain vigilant following new changes.
The PS called on all Kenyans not to let their guard down but to continue to wear their masks, to maintain the recommended physical distance of 1.5 meters in public places, to continue to wash their hands regularly with running water and soap and avoid crowded areas.
“This campaign therefore aims to make our populations aware of the importance of strictly respecting the containment protocols in order to protect themselves and their loved ones,” said the PS.
The PS noted that the exercise will encourage the public to embrace the jab and participate in the Covid-19 vaccination exercise in their respective counties.
She urged the teams involved in the awareness campaign to ensure that the messages are well communicated for better understanding by all communities and, where possible, to use vernacular languages.
The campaign that started today across the country will end on June 27, 2021 in all counties from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
County Information Officers work in conjunction with Regional and National Government Administrative Officers (NGAOS), leading campaigns in their respective regions.
A similar community awareness campaign on the pandemic was carried out in May 2020 in the first eight high-risk counties of Migori, Siaya, Kisumu, Nairobi, Kajiado, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi.
Health Ministry Acting Director General Patrick Amoth told media that these five cases involving Indian nationals were imported into the country before the country banned flights to and from India .
“We chose it from a sample of Indian travelers who work in the western part of Kisumu. The health teams carry out the contact tracing, ”he said at the time.
“This variant was chosen in Kenya and due to the connectivity it was only a matter of time. You cannot put up barriers to prevent a virus from entering your territory, ”added Amoth.
Yesterday, the total number of confirmed positive Covid-19 cases stood at 179,075 with a cumulative test carried out so far at 1,904,519. The number of fatal cases due to the virus stands at 3,456.
By Catherine Muindi